In Malaysia, the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA”) came into force on 15th November 2013. The Act aims to protect the personal data of individuals with respect to commercial transactions.
Your personal data includes: -
• Your Name (As per IC);
• Your National Registration Identification Card (IC) number or passport number;
• Your contact details including house phone number, mobile phone number, email address and mailing address;
• Your family details, including their names, IC numbers and/or their residential address;
• Your beneficiaries’ details, including names, IC numbers and/or their residential address;
• Your executors’ details, including names, IC numbers and/or their residential address;
• Your elected guardians’ details, including names, IC numbers and/or their residential address;
• Your witnesses’ details, including names, IC numbers and/or their residential address;
• Your assets details;
• Any other personal data derived from any legal documentation including Insurance Policies, Letter of Administration, Grant of Probate, Power of Attorney, Birth Certificate and Death Certificate.
SmartWills will process the aforesaid personal data, which are provided by you to SmartWills online platform or via SmartWills‘ resellers. The personal data provided by you shall only be used for SmartWills’ business and services only.
Your personal data is collected vide the following channels: -
• When you sign up to purchase our products and services from us or from our resellers;
• When you register your interest with us or our resellers to purchase the products and services;
• When you attend our public talk, seminars or training classes;
• When you visit our websites;
• Pursuant to any transaction or inquiry or communication made with or to us or our resellers;
As our services covers the preparation of Wills, we will process the data collected for the following purposes: -
• To facilitate the drafting of Wills and other legacy planning instruments as purchased by you;
• For billing and financial purposes, including payments for SmartWills services (and all transactions related thereto), accounting and tax;
• To respond to your enquires;
• For administrative purposes;
• For contact purposes;
• To provide you with information and updates on our products and services.
• To meet legal and statutory requirements;
• To conduct research and statistical analysis;
• To provide you with regular communications relating to services provided by SmartWills, its related companies and partners from time to time;
• To serve for direct marketing purposes.
Any information requested by us are necessary and mandatory for us to facilitate the online Will services. We will not be able to provide you the Smartwills’ services and relevant updates or information if you fail to provide us those information requested by us.
In order to provide you the online Will writing services and in connection with the operation of this Website, we may process, use and disclose your personal data:
• With service providers who work on our behalf, such as cloud storage providers, and other third party partners that provide features or functionalities we integrate into our Website, such as email communication providers;
• With our resellers and service providers (including overseas providers) providing value-add services relating to the purposes for which the personal data is collected;
• With our attorneys, accountants, auditors or other advisors when needed;
• With regulatory authorities and enforcement agencies;
• Any court of law or any relevant party in connection with any claim or legal proceedings;
• To the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation); and
• With third-parties for any purpose with your consent or otherwise at your direction.
If you would like to make any enquiries or request access or correction of your personal data, you may contact us by writing to the following address or email to us: -
My Smartwills Services (SSM No. 202003173125 / JR0111569-U)
116-1, Jalan Rimbunan Raya,
Laman Rimbunan, Kepong,
52100 Kuala Lumpur.
Any request to access or correct your personal data may be subject to the requirements under the Personal Data Protection Act 2010.
Note: We are in the process of applying for registration of PDP with our new company entity. Status to be updated soonest.